Blog / 2020 / Why I’d Like to Have a Lot of Money
January 20, 2020
Why I’d like to have a lot of money:
- To give it to artist friends simply because I love what they are doing and I want to support their efforts.
- To be able to give my art to people who really love it, and especially the people who have been buying it for years.
- To travel as if borders don’t exist, make all the art, fix my teeth, and never be stressed about paying for medical care or rent again.
Why I don’t care that I don’t have a lot of money:
- Because I know that what I do all day every day contributes to the good in the world, and, in most jobs, it’s hard to be certain of that.
- Because, in my experience of it and in what I’ve observed among other people, almost no one feels like they have enough money.
- Because we’re all going to die very soon in a global-warming-fueled catastrophe or in a nuclear holocaust at the hands of the thin-skinned fascistically-inclined criminal we currently call POTUS.
I know, I know. You’ll tell me that I should try to have a more positive outlook—that I shouldn’t focus on the negative. But, in a way, this acknowledgment of our imminent doom feels like the most upbeat attitude possible in these troubled times.
There’s an animal quality to the way I am connecting with our mortality at the moment. Gone is the human angst. I feel perfectly at ease with the inevitability of death. It doesn’t make me want to do bad things—I’m not a thin-skinned fascistically-inclined criminal after all. Rather, my very mortal mood makes me want to be more of an artist, because at least when I am making art I feel like I am making a difference in the lives of others.
This insouciant kangaroo was commissioned by a patron through my special deal on Patreon. If you give me $50 per month for six months, I make you a painting on unmounted canvas of an animal of your choosing.
For prints and pretty things of the image, check out my Redbubble shop.
Receive an email every six weeks with announcements about books, talks, and events.
Receive an email whenever I publish a new artwork or article.